As one of the world’s leading tourism conglomerates, we are deeply aware of its responsibility for protecting environment and ecology, and minimizing the impact of its operations on the environment. We focus on protecting the finite resources of earth and contribute to building sustainable cities and communities through improving environmental management system, raising the environmental awareness of our employees and customers, actively addressing climate change and deploying innovative plans.
● 100% new resorts get or obtain a BREEAM or LEED (silver) certification or equivalent
● 100% operating resorts get or keep GreenGlobe/EarthCheck /Green Hotel or equivalent
● Reduce carbon intensity by 40% (GHG scope 1&2) by 2030 (2019 baseline)
● Reduce energy consumption intensity by 30% by 2030 (2019 baseline)
● Achieve a maximize of renewable energy
● 10% reduction in water use intensity (2019 baseline)
● 30% reduction of waste generation (2019 baseline)
● 65% of newly opened Club Med resorts are certified or in the process of being certified since 2018
● 18% of the Club Med’s hotel portfolio has obtained a certification for construction or design (25% including those pending certification)
● 97% of eligible Club Med resorts are Green Globe certified;
● Atlantis Sanya was awarded “China Five-leaves Green Hotel” and obtained EarthCheck silver certification for three consecutive years (including the Reporting Period)
● Compare to 2019, GHG emission intensity (scope 1&2) increased by 7% (by hotel night sold) and increased by 14% (by revenue)
● Compare to 2019, energy consumption intensity increased by 19% (by hotel night sold) and increased by 27% (by revenue)
● 19% of all electricity consumed in Club Med Resorts comes from renewable sources (EDF green certificates and photovoltaic electricity either produced in villages or purchased) and 46% of its villages uses electric vehicles
● Compare to 2019, water use intensity decreased by 16% (by hotel night sold) and decreased by 11% (by revenue)
● Compare to 2019, non-hazardous waste generation decreased by 27%, non-hazardous waste intensity decreased by 14% (by hotel night sold) and decreased by 8% (by revenue)
The Group strictly follows the Environmental Protection Law of the People's Republic of China, the Environmental Protection Tax Law of the People's Republic of China as well as the laws and regulations for environmental protection of the places where the operations involve. The EHSQ Department of the Group is responsible for overseeing the implementation and progression of environmental efforts of the Group as a whole. We further undertake management responsibilities by establishing the environmental management responsibility mechanism. Moreover, every subsidiary has established its EHS committee for overseeing the implementation of EHS work and holding monthly EHS meetings to discuss EHS-related issues. The Group established cooperative relations with the stakeholders and implemented the concept of lifecycle in every stage of projects, including investment planning, asset design and construction, and business operations.
In 2022, there were frequent extreme natural disasters arising from climate change, such as extreme heat, drought, rainstorm and flood, and the Group became aware of the importance in addressing climate change. We take active steps to improve climate governance capability, develop strategies for mitigating and adapting climate change, improve climate-related risk management and enhance the disclosure of our climate-related information. We have established the ESG Committee to review and evaluate climate risks to actively coper with barriers posed by climate change, contributing our efforts for the achievement of “Carbon Peaking and Carbon Neutrality” and the targets under the Paris Agreement.
The Group takes various actions to protect biodiversity in its operations. We value the balance of the ecosystem in all phases of planning, design, construction and operation to minimize the negative impact on the surrounding ecology. We have developed the Biodiversity Policy to encourage major subsidiaries, associates, joint ventures, partners and other relevant parties to respect and protect biodiversity. Animals play important roles in the tourism industry considering their value in natural and cultural heritage, and contribute to the richness of the tourist destination. We actively prompt the subsidiaries to take various measures to ensure that animals could be treated in appropriate and humane way during business operations.
The group always trying to explore ways to improve waste management measures and to use limited resources more efficiently. The Group has established the Environmental Pollutants Management Policy and the waste reduction target to guide and supervise all subsidiaries to adopt targeted emission management methods to reduce emissions from operations. The Group strictly complies with the Law of the People's Republic of China on the Prevention and Control of Environment Pollution Caused by Solid Wastes and relevant laws and regulations about wastes in its business locations. The group has formulated Fosun Tourism Group Solid Waste Management Guideline v2.0 , committed to continuously reducing solid waste from operations.